Almost all mature and progressive software manufacturers are focussing on building solutions that encompass holistic integrations capabilities, keeping into consideration convergence of SMAC, and it's impact on modern businesses. Just like there is hardly any software vendor that doesn't offer on-cloud or on-demand offering these days, big data & analytics capabilities are driving lot of business stakeholders in decision making and forcing software vendors to enhance their offerings.
More and more modern businesses are taking the digital route. Focus on customer touch-points has never been so intense and not to mention expensive, in the history of customer lifecycle management. Multi-channel commerce is taking a new shape with maturity of 'internet of connected devices', and is pushing tons & tons of new data for ingestion every minute.
- Inexpensive primary storage
- Groundbreaking enhancements in in-memory grid computing and columnar compression technology in DB
- Cloud Computing moving more and more data away from on-premise model
- Ever increasing number of mobile subscribers globally
- Seamless connectivity and network availability et al
- (Big) Data is everyone's business. From LOB heads to EA, Data architects and business analysts - everyone is expected to add value
- Don't ignore Data Governance
- Don't ignore Data Security & access control
- Breakdown operation inefficiencies and build logical tiers for seamless data flow from data source to data consumer.
- Don't go Big Bang, at the same time don't be solely opportunistic. Find a balance, try to push for Big Data, while being practical within corporate boundaries.